Hosts of webinars and virtual event sessions use UTM codes to attribute registrations to different marketing campaigns and sources. By adding a UTM code to the URL of your webinar’s registration page, you can track the source of your registrations and use those insights to inform future marketing choices.
Add UTM codes to your BigMarker sessions following these steps:
1. Log into your webinar and select the Manage Webinar tab.
2. From the left-hand menu, choose Custom Registration Fields.
3. This page lists the fields that are visible on your registration form. Select Add Field, the blue button on the bottom of the box.
4. Type your desired tracking code under Field Title. For example, if you are using tracking codes to compare the performances of multiple email campaigns, you will create individual tracking code for each campaign, titled “campaigna,” “campaignb”, etc. Then, in the list below, tick off “Do not display field on registration form.” This ensures that your tracking code is not visible to attendees as they register for your event. Click Save Field to complete.
5. Return to the Manage Webinar tab and, on the top right corner of the page, select View Landing Page.
6. From there, you will proceed to your webinar’s registration page. In the URL of this page, replace “show_live_page=true” with your desired utm code, in this case, “campaigna.”
7. Once you’ve inserted your UTM code into your registration page’s URL, copy and paste it into the marketing campaign you want to track. When your guests register for your event by clicking this URL, you’ll know that it was “Campaign A” that drove them to register.
How can I track the performance of each of my UTM codes?
Once you’ve activated your UTM codes, you can access your registration records and see how many people have registered via each code. Because the UTM code is a registration field for your event, it will appear as its own separate data field on your BigMarker event report.
Before the event begins, you can also follow these steps to see whether an individual attendee has registered using a UTM code.
1. Log into your webinar and select the Manage Webinar tab. In the left-hand menu, select Manage Registrations.
2. The Manage Registrations page lists each person that has registered for your webinar. You can access each person’s individual registration record by clicking “View” in their individual listing.
3. Under Custom ID, locate “campaigna.” This demonstrates that this person registered for the event via a URL with the “campaigna” UTM code (or more simply, through Campaign A.) If you’ve created multiple UTM codes for different email campaigns, you can determine which performed best by measuring how many people register via each UTM code.